Six cottages form part of the frontage of Trinity College, which bought the buildings and the land behind them from Magdalen and Oriel Colleges in 1786. They were not incorporated into the college until around 1885 when the new Front Quad was created by TG Jackson. Trinity College lodge was once a cottage, the doorway in the centre is blocked up. To the side of the lodge is a small doorway which is the usual entrance to the college. The gates are jointly Grade II listed with the neighbouring cottages. No’s 57 and 58 are the two cottages in the middle of the group. They were originally built in about 1680 and let out as private homes. They were joined together to form one home in 1880. In 1970 they were demolished and rebuilt in facsimile but with an extra first-floor window and an extra dormer in the roof. Only the narrow side-wall of one of the cottages on the right can be seen from Broad Street. Trinity used them as staff housing from 1786 to 1883. Their front gardens were incorporated into the President’s Lodgings in 1885. Originally built in about 1680, these cottages were also demolished and rebuilt in 1970.
Trinity, Blackwell and the White Horse
The Lodgings of the President of Trinity College, built by TG Jackson in 1885–7 in part of the garden of Kettell Hall, is set back from Broad Street. Both the house and the front railings are Grade II listed. Kettell (or Kettle) Hall is a stone house opening out on to Broad Street and attached to the western side of Blackwell’s Bookshop. The Grade II listed building dates from about 1620 and it is the oldest building in Trinity College’s front quadrangle. The freehold was purchased from Oriel in 1883 and Kettell Hall became a full part of the college in 1898. It is occupied by graduate students. Blackwell’s Bookshop is on the site of a house which passed into the hands of the city in 1569. It housed a doctor’s surgery and a vicarage before Trinity College purchased the freehold of the building in 1946 and it was used to house the Dean. In 1964 it had been so damaged by death watch beetle that everything behind the street frontage had to be demolished. Trinity rebuilt it with undergraduate rooms on the upper floor, but have let the ground floor to Blackwell’s since 1966. The White Horse pub is squeezed between Blackwell's main shop and its newer small shop. The Grade II listed building, owned by Exeter College dates from the 16th century, although the stuccoed timber-framed fronting probably dates from the 18th century. It is one of Oxford's oldest pubs, and has had many different names -The Mermaid, The White Mermaid, The Jolly Volunteer and The Elephant. It has appeared several times in Inspector Morse